To Inspire

Genealogy is a great hobby. Always something new to find whether it be a new name, story or event in history. I hope this inspires you a little bit to find out something new about your family and pass it on so the history doesn't get lost. If your new to my blog, please see the tab "Archive Index" - these are all my past articles. Enjoy!

Friday, April 17, 2015

Great Aunt Mel




I haven’t written my blog for a bit because there have been a few deaths in my life this past two weeks.  One I’d like to talk about is my Great Aunt Mel. I won’t tell you her full name because frankly she hated when people called her by it.  I remember when I was starting my research on the family tree and I figured out her name and told her, she gave me the warning then! LOL.  Mel is my Grandpa Claridon  “Sonny” Appleby’s sister.

I don’t have any Aunt’s to really speak of – so all my Great Aunts were more like my Aunts!  Two were special to me.  My Great Aunt Kitty was one – who we visited more than the others from my Grandma Maries family- she passed away last summer.  And the other was my Great Aunt Mel.  I can always remember as a kid visiting Iowa and staying with Aunt Mel and Uncle Ernie, or they would come to Chicago and see us.   I always had a good time with my cousins, especially Billy because we were the same age.

This is such a close family – it is truly awesome to see.  About a 1 ½ years ago, I took my youngest son to Iowa to visit family there, and to celebrate my Grandpa Sonny’s birthday – everyone came out and It was so much fun. My son cried when we left because he had such a good time and they made him feel so welcome.  All the cousins are so close; in fact you get confused on who belongs to who because there are so many kids! It’s awesome!  Mel & Ernie had 5 children plus spouses, 14 grandchildren plus spouses, and 25 great grandchildren and 2 great great grand children!! I’ll never forget when I got to Iowa before and Aunt Mel hugged me and said “I thought I’d never get to see you again.” My son heard that and remembered that as well, because when I told him that she was in the hospital and was very ill, he repeated that to me.  I cried.  I wish I hadn’t stayed away for so long but people get busy with their lives and it’s hard to travel sometimes.  My advice is that you should remember the fun times and “try” and make the time – before you run out. I’m so glad I did!

My Iowa family all have their grandparents, parents, siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles – and great aunts and uncles, great nieces and nephews or 3x’s cousins…..they are all family!  They are full of love!

I will write next about some of the finds we came across looking at photos and going to cemeteries while there for Great Aunt Mel’s funeral.  I could now, but I want this to be tribute to her and the legacy she leaves behind in her large family!

Here is her official Obituary:
EVANSDALE -- Melvina S. "Mel" Nolan, 82, of Evansdale, formerly of Waterloo, died Saturday, April 11, at UnityPoint Health-Allen Hospital, Waterloo.
She was born Feb. 18, 1933, in Waterloo, daughter of Earl and Olive Stripes Appleby. She married Ernest Virgil Nolan Sr. on Sept. 5, 1949, in Waterloo; he died Feb. 4, 2008.
Mel attended Sloan Wallace, and was employed as a waitress at Starr Bowling Lanes for 12 years, retiring in 1986.
Survived by: three sons, Ernest Jr. (Andie) of Waterloo, Rick (Deb) of Evansdale and Bill of Montgomery City, Mo.; two daughters, Terry (Dennis) Reiners of Waterloo and Sue (Tony) Jones of Evansdale; 14 grandchildren; 25 great-grandchildren; two great-great-grandchildren; two brothers, Floyd Appleby of Waterloo and Claridon “Sonny” Appleby of Chicago; and a sister, Myrtle Laycox of Fisher, Ark.
Preceded in death by: a brother, Bill Appleby; a sister, Lula Oestereich; and a grandchild.
Services: 10 a.m. Wednesday at Kearns Funeral Service Kimball Chapel, with burial in Garden of Memories Cemetery, both in Waterloo. Visitation from 4 to 7 p.m. Tuesday at the funeral chapel.
Memorials: may be directed to Hemophilia of Iowa Condolences can be left at www.KearnsFuneralService.com

No comments:

Post a Comment