To Inspire

Genealogy is a great hobby. Always something new to find whether it be a new name, story or event in history. I hope this inspires you a little bit to find out something new about your family and pass it on so the history doesn't get lost. If your new to my blog, please see the tab "Archive Index" - these are all my past articles. Enjoy!

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Family Historian

After the notification that Ancestry was going to no longer support Family Tree Maker, I had to go on the search of what program to use, just like many many others.  My fear was I would lose content - which I will.  I will have to reattach every document and photo I have - 1,000's.  However, my entered information will transfer to other programs with GEDCOM which makes me happy!

I tested a few programs with their free trials and read all the reviews.  I tested Roots Web and Family Historian.  I found Roots Web to be sorta difficult to use.  I didn't care for the look of it either. That only took me a few days to decide it wasn't for me.   I tried  Family Historian and I used it for 30 days.  I really like the look and feel of ease. Course after using Family Tree Maker for last 20+ years, it will take some time to get use to all the ways and reports it has to offer.  I found it very very similar in use to FTM.  I decided to go with Family Historian.

While going through trying several software programs, Ancestry came out with an announcement that Roots Web was going to have access to the search on Ancestry website and someone was going to take over the FTM. I as a long time customer was still not happy on how this all came about. I like to do my research and keep my information on my computer, upload what I want to Ancestry. NOT do my work ON Ancestry.  Reason? I have another website I use for uploading and sharing information. I use TRIBALPAGES.  I enjoy the ease of this website and the price!  My site is www.tammysfamilytree.tribalpages.com .

Course going with new company for FTM or Rootsweb would be wonderful for searching.  I found it to still leave a bad taste in my mouth.  Ancestry probably ONLY did this because they felt the heat from FTM users AND from all the cancellations of subscriptions.  I being one of them.  It should have never happened with how many subscribers there are, and the amount of money that is charged.  I am going to put my money somewhere else for a while.  I probably, some day will go back to Ancestry - I will not use their recommended software however.  Why? Who's to say they won't change their minds again.  Ancestry is the largest data base, however, there are several others that have large data bases to search and very unique items to download, especially if you are looking more international than just in the USA.

I cancelled Ancestry - and no long a FTM user.  I am now a Family Historian User and will look at other data bases to search.  Right now, I'm just learning the new program - and going on a road trip in the summer and hopefully can drive thru areas in Kentucky and Virginia where the "tree" lived at some point.  I promise to catch up on this blog - sorry for the long delay - Ancestry really put a damper in my research and turned me off of it for a while.

I did recently have had contact with a distant relative in Australia that connects to my Itailian roots.  I'm waiting for a word back - I'm excited about this connection!  I'm sure there will be more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment