To Inspire

Genealogy is a great hobby. Always something new to find whether it be a new name, story or event in history. I hope this inspires you a little bit to find out something new about your family and pass it on so the history doesn't get lost. If your new to my blog, please see the tab "Archive Index" - these are all my past articles. Enjoy!

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Veterans Day

I have missed writing my blog for a while now. I've been remodeling the house, appointments here and there, and have started a new adventure in learning about essential oils. So that has taken my time up lately.  But yesterday was Veterans Day and it got me thinking about my genealogy research.

When it is Veterans Day we think of all the immediate people in our families, such as a Father/Mother or grandparents that might have served and we think of people that are currently serving. My Father, Grandfather, Uncle, several Great Uncles, Cousins have all served.  I say thank you to them and all who have served.

Yesterday, I proudly uploaded an image to put on my Facebook page as alot of people do, and I found this one.  What struck me about this image first, was that I thought it was great that it included all the  branches, but then I noticed it included a woman! PERFECT!  But then I looked even closer and it also included civil war and revolutionary war veterans!

We always remember to honor those that served that we knew or knew about, but who remembers to THANK those before that? Those that were the first to truly make this county free.  Free from Europe, free from slavery, free to vote, free on many levels.  In genealogy, I have the privilege of finding out that I had several relatives GGGgreats down the line that fought in the Revolutionary War and Civil Wars.
They helped form this country! I can't even imagine how that was!  When I think of this, it really bothers me about all the talk with the confederate flag that has been going on.   I don't believe it should be flown on Government property like a state building, but I don't agree with them trying to ban it everywhere. As right or wrong it was for what they were fighting for, it was something those men believed in.   Everyone has their own opinion.   No my family fought for Union, but if I had a family member who fought the other way, I would feel the same way.

So on Veterans Day next year, don't remember just the people you know, think of those way before us in what they believed and fought for as well.

Thank EVERY VET for their service!

No comments:

Post a Comment