To Inspire

Genealogy is a great hobby. Always something new to find whether it be a new name, story or event in history. I hope this inspires you a little bit to find out something new about your family and pass it on so the history doesn't get lost. If your new to my blog, please see the tab "Archive Index" - these are all my past articles. Enjoy!

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

WHY?

Many people when I tell them that my hobby is Genealogy - They generally say WHY? Why would you want to go through and relive learning history. Why would you want to collect all that paper. Why would you want to spend so much time on this or so many years?

Well, I've been fascinated with family history because most of my great grandparents came from other counties.  Finland, Germany, and Italy. I wanted to know more!!  The funny thing is the side I found the most history on, was the side that didn't come from another county, until later in the line, Revolutionary time table. They came from Europe and Scotland,

When I first started out in the 1980's - then it was mostly done on paper. We had gotten ourselves a computer - and I could type things out - but nothing like we can today!  I had to catalog every paper. Marriage license, birth certificates, death certificates, photos, military records - list goes on.  I did pretty good. I was a good paper organizer. I had probably about 15 binders of stuff! YES that many.  Then things became easier with the internet and computers were more easier to use. Programs became available.  Eventually I scanned all my stuff. If they were copies, I threw them away - yes I actually did. Wasn't easy but 15 binders (LARGE) was too much. All the original stuff I had acquired I still have. I am down to about 4 large binders and 2 smaller ones I use for family reunions.

With throwing items away - if you go digital. Make back ups. I literally carry a flash drive in my purse with my stuff incase my computer crashes or is stolen.  Besides it being all online!

Back to the WHY?

WHY? Because I want my kids to know the hardships that family made to give them a life in America.  If Finland and Italy hadn't made it to America - there would be no Dad - or me - or my kids.  Isn't it fascinating to think of it that way?  The little stories are just as important as the big stories, or the sad stories or the hard life stories. They are all history, they are all about family, they are all important.  So if someone ever comes to you and asks you about your life, your story, don't shrug them away. Let them write it down, take pictures, or record you! They are interested for a reason!

No comments:

Post a Comment