To Inspire

Genealogy is a great hobby. Always something new to find whether it be a new name, story or event in history. I hope this inspires you a little bit to find out something new about your family and pass it on so the history doesn't get lost. If your new to my blog, please see the tab "Archive Index" - these are all my past articles. Enjoy!

Sunday, May 31, 2015

Heritage - Family History isn't just about names

The other day I was on a walk with my friends and we started to talk about our heritages and traditions because some of the kids had a project to do for school.  It was funny how all three of us had different point of views.

My first friend had the view that she was "American" and doesn't really doesn't see herself as having a heritage and she doesn't really have traditions that they follow as a family.  Her father does currently live in another country, and has half siblings there, but he is not of that culture; he is American.  So she does realize that her half siblings have their traditions, but really she does not.

My other friend considered herself has sorta having a heritage and traditions. She knows the nationalities in her family.  As to traditions she does make certain foods or does certain things for holidays. She noted that family came to America back in 1800's so she really doesn't see herself as that particular culture, but does enjoy the traditions, such as certain foods on holidays.  She said that just because they enjoy the foods, really doesn't make it feel as if your apart of the culture however. She really didn't feel that bond.

Then there was I, who at first had hard time understanding why people don't know or embrace  the past, but I do know all about my heritage and traditions. I have many, especially when it comes to food, which is most common.  As we talked longer,  my friend who doesn't feel she has any traditions said something curious to me.  She said something to the effect that the closer we are to the generation that comes from a far to America, the more it probably is important to us.  So because I had 5 of my 8 great grandparents came to America.  This is probably true.  I'm really only 3rd generation "American" from 5 sides.  I have my 2 great grandparents that came from Italy. I had 2 great grandparents that came from Finland, and I had 1 great grandmother who came from Germany.  My others were in America longer, actually some before it became America.  I am AMERICAN, however, I am very in-tune with my heritage of Finnish, Italian and German.

There are a few more things got me thinking.

Since most traditions that are pasted down are holidays traditions or recipes/food traditions, and since we are "Americans" why don't those who have no traditions start some of their own, because you don't know if someday, they may decide to move to another country, they can take those traditions with them.  If we have traditions that have been passed down to us, why not embrace them and add to them!  Even if you have a recipe and put a twist on it, then it becomes your own!  One tradition we started in our family is we exchange Christmas ornaments.  My Mom started it.  On Thanksgiving, we exchange ornaments - even the kids. This way when the kids are grown, they will have their own ornaments started for their trees.  I have a tradition of making cookies at Christmas. However, I  make my own cookies, long with cookies from our heritage as well.  This is one way to pass the recipes to the children and keep them going.

Americans are so lucky, we live in such a melting pot and get to experience every kind of food, most countries are not like that!

SO, if you don't think you have a heritage or don't have traditions; make some and pass them along.  Family history isn't just about names, its about what you know, and more so of what you pass along to your family!

No comments:

Post a Comment