To Inspire

Genealogy is a great hobby. Always something new to find whether it be a new name, story or event in history. I hope this inspires you a little bit to find out something new about your family and pass it on so the history doesn't get lost. If your new to my blog, please see the tab "Archive Index" - these are all my past articles. Enjoy!

Sunday, May 3, 2015

Helen (Tedesco) Altonen - in Memory


Once a lady named Helen Tedesco was walking in a park in NJ with her friend and they met some sailors there.  Helen hit it off with one in particular, his name was Wilhart Altonen.  He swept her off her feet and they were married soon after, before he had to set sail during WWII.  They lived a full life all across the country- NJ, IL, AZ and MI. Below is the park bench where they met and talked. The other is my favorite picture of them! I carry it with me.  The Italian and the Finn!  Just think if their parents hadn't immigrated to America, they would have never met! 

My grandma Helen passed away 4 years ago, in the midst of a bad time in my life. She was always a good adviser to me, but in her last year, her mind really wasn't there alot and didn't always know me.  But I could hear her advise in my mind, from past talks.  It hit me hard when she passed away, and it still makes me cry.  I know we all have a few relatives that make an impression on us; she was that person to me.  I know she would have loved my new husband, and she would be so happy for me.  I wanted to share her love story on how she met my grandpa, and other family pictures to honor a wonderful Grandma, Mother, Wife, Sister, Aunt, Niece, Daughter, and Great Grandma. 




farm in Michigan


She loved to swim in AZ


Meeting Jeremy for the 1st time, first Great Grandson


Sandra with Grandma & Dad 


1986 Me & Grandma in AZ

Great Grandkids - Jeremy, Hailey, Jacob

3 granddaughters Tammy, Tina, & Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment